North Side Community 2016 Impact Data
- Helped 1,000+ individuals avoid or refinance out of predatory debt.
- Hosted second chance checking accounts for 100 individuals who had Chexsystems records, helping them affordably access a debit product.
- Provided credit counseling, financial literacy training and housing counseling for over 300
- Referred out over $6 million in mortgages loans to first time homebuyers program to our financial institution partners.
- Launched the Gender Affirming Products Loan Package – the first industry loan product to ever be marketed to the LGBTQ community.
Windy City Times: Credit Union Launches First of Kind Product
Credit Union Times: Success strategies of small credit unions
CUNA News: Small Credit Unions Remain Relevant
Credit Union Times: Credit Union Launches Gender Affirming Loan Product
National Federation Funds North Side CDCU to Expand Financial Services to Older Adults.
The Federation’s grant will provide North Side with the opportunity to focus on marketing and community outreach efforts, on building new relationships, promoting new product offerings, and developing financial programs for low-income older and potential new members.
Published July 2011
Credit From the Corner Store
Activists say payday lenders exploit the poor, but better borrowing options are hard to find. North Side is cited as an exemplary alternative to payday loans.
Published in Chicago Reader, June 30, 2011
Unbanked but No Longer Ignored: Regulators, Firms Take Aim At Payday-Lending Market
North Side is cited as an exemplary credit union offering short-term loans as an alternative to payday lenders.
Published in The Washington Post, October, 2009
Good Neighbor Award for Community Advocacy by the Uptown Chicago Commission, May 2009
Chicago Neighborhood Development Award for Non-Profit Community Building, 2004
Community Partnership Award, presented by the Vietnamese Association of Illinois, November 16th, 2002
The Mongsignor John Egan Campaign for Payday Loan Reform Vision Award, 2001
Certificate of Community Service, presented by the Chicago Council on Urban Affairs, November 12th, 1996
Eureka Mentor Award, presented by The Eureka Foundation, March 1993
Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) Medal of Honor, presented by the Woodstock Institute, May 15, 1991
Neighborhood Award, presented by Trust, Inc. Community Development Lending Program, 1988
Outstanding Volunteer Service, presented by Uptown Center Hull House, 1981
Recognition of Distinguished Service, presented by Hull House Association, November 17, 1980